Brand new CQ-18T won’t play audio from Mac Studio

Hello. Last week I received my new powerful Mac Studio computer and today my CQ-18T arrived. I’m reasonably savvy with this kind of stuff, but for the life of me, I cannot get the CQ to play audio from the Mac through headphones or my connected studio monitors. All the I/O settings on the Mac are correct. I just saw on the Allan and Heath site where they are recommending people do not upgrade to Mac Golden Gate OS at this point. That was the operating system that my computer arrived with. :confused:. Is anyone in this forum currently using Golden Gate on their Mac with a CQ? I fear this may be my problem and now I’m going to be in firmware purgatory. Thanks for any info.

Can you show a screenshot? What have you set on the CQ?

Hi, thanks for the response. I have the USB signal coming back from my Mac routed to channels 15 & 16 with the input source being USB/SD. Outputs 1/2 are going to my Event Studio monitors and I am also getting no sound in my headphones.

Out of interest, why don’t you return the audio from your Mac to the dedicated USB return channel? (19/20 on the CQ-18T)

We recommend that people don’t update to Golden Gate yet because it hasn’t been tested - but that doesn’t mean it won’t work at all.

You’ll need to make sure your Mac is sending out to the correct channels via Audio MIDI Setup → Configure Speakers

I was following a random Youtube instructional video. Where do I access the dedicated USB return channel? I’m having difficulty locating this?

The channels are assigned by default. You can find it under Processing or Fader views on the third tab (ST.IN/FX)

Ok going into Audio MIDI setup and changing the speaker output channels to 19/20 seemed to do the trick. Is that in the manual anywhere? I knew there would be a learning curve with this but I’m off to a slow start. Are there any tutorial videos that would help someone who is just trying to set up to do simple live recording in LogicPro on a Mac in a home music room? Thank you very much, I just got this new computer and I saw that Apple released Golden Gate on September 14 so I thought I might be in trouble! Again much thanks!

I don’t know if this is the issue or not, but I know you always have to “allow” the permissions for basic things like audio and networking when using non-Apple applications. Apple loves to default the settings to deny in the name of “security” - but really it is just to make using third party apps harder and drive people towards using the Apple applications. Of course that last part is just my opinion, but it is limitations like that that makes me hate using Apple products.

Given that it is a new device that you are trying to connect to the Apple computer, I would suggest that you review the various Mac OS “permissions” to ensure the computer is actually allowing things like audio to pass to the new device.

Well when I changed the Audio midi setup speaker output channels to 19/20, I am now able to hear Youtube videos through my powered monitors in outputs 1 & 2 as well as headphones. Oddly though I cannot get LogicProX to send any signal to my CQ-18T monitor outputs or headphones. When I go to Logic’s audio settings and set the output back to the computer speakers it works fine. The frustration continues.